School Chapel, Communications Technology Lab, Three Gyms, Teaching Library with a Computer Centre, Computer Labs, Science Labs, Drama Room, and Chaplaincy Centre.
Number of Students 1010
Number of Full Time Teachers 73, plus 3 Administrators
Number of Support Staff 28
School Objectives for the Year
To bring the presence of Christ into every area of school life, by providing opportunities to participate in the liturgical life. We also try to encourage our school community to have a greater appreciation and understanding of local and global issues as well as individual responsibilities as global citizens.
How we live our Catholic Faith: Our Belief
The Father Bressani Catholic High School, A School for International Studies and Advanced Placement Centre of Excellence, community believes that a Catholic high school is one in which the teachings of Jesus Christ are integrated into the day to day curriculum and social fabric of high school. The life roles, knowledge, skills and attitudes outlined in the Ontario Catholic School Graduates Expectations (Institute for Catholic Education) describe the seven distinctive expectations that the Catholic Community has for graduates of Catholic secondary schools. We have many opportunities to pray and demonstrate our Catholic faith including: prayer services, classroom liturgies and Sacramental Life, daily prayer, an active pastoral team, opportunities for individual student reflection in our chapel, and retreats for staff and students.
Our Partners: Chaplaincy Co-ordinator: M. Di Nardo
We live our Catholic Faith by focusing on service, relationships, the Word of God, and lay witness and leadership. Our Chaplaincy Team co-ordinates with local pastors the many areas of our faith life. We also have Catholic symbols throughout our school and our parish representative is our liaison with the parish.
Demonstrating our Faith
Our faith is shown by: liturgical celebrations, reconciliation, outreach to Catholic organizations (St. Francis Table & Scott Mission). We have contributed through fund-raising: Children’s Wish Foundation, Canadian Cancer Society, World Youth Day, Consolatta Missions C,ian Food For Children and Sheepfold School of The Good Shepherd School in Port-Au-Prince Haiti.
Christian Service is a component of every Religion course at Father Bressani. As important as learning about our faith, is putting our faith into action. One important way of putting our faith into action is service (e.g. students are expected to perform 10 hours of service each year).
“Whatever you do even to the lest of your brothers and sisters, you do to me” (Jesus of Nazareth)
York Catholic District School Board – Mission
The Mission of the York Catholic District School Board is to educate each student to reach full potential in a dynamic, Christ-centred learning community which accentuates our unique Canadian identity in partnership with home and Church.
Guidance Department Head: Agnese Puopolo
Guidance Secretary: Antonella Dirracolo
Telephone Number: (905)851-0977
The Guidance Department assists students in making informed educational and career decisions. Counsellors help students to select high school courses to ensure that students will have the prerequisites for post-secondary studies. Working with individuals or small groups, counsellors will also assist students in resolving personal, social, and academic concerns.
Catholic School Advisory Council Information
The Father Bressani Catholic School Council functions in an advisory role to the school principal and to the Board. Meetings are approx. 1.5 hours in length. Meeting dates for the 2017-18 school year are:
- Thursday, October 19, 2017
- Thursday, November 23, 2017
- Thursday, December 7, 2017
- Thursday, February 16, 2018
- Thursday, April 26, 2018
- Thursday, May 17, 2018
- Thursday, June 7, 2018
*Other meetings will be held as required
Catholic School Advisory Council – Major Objectives For The Year:
- To foster the pursuit of academic excellence and create a culture of life-long learning among students, staff and the community.
- To continue to encourage respect and positive attitudes towards one another, towards school policies, and towards the environment.
How do we know we are succeeding?
Our school is dedicated to continuous improvement. Information from a variety of sources assists us in improving student achievement.
When available, results from Provincial Tests will be reported. Provincial tests occur during Grade Nine and Grade Ten for all students across the Province of Ontario. These tests are created by the Education Quality and Accountability Office, an arms length agency of the Government of Ontario.
It is important that we do not judge our school’s performance solely on any one result or indicator. At all times, quality classroom assessments by our teachers determine student achievement. In addition to this testing, teachers use examinations, classroom tests, portfolios of student work and group discussion to evaluate student progress. Information from other sources can also give us valuable feedback.
Semestered: Semester One: September to January
Semester Two: February to June
PACE (Gifted Program) & Special Education (Core and monitoring) International focus in all subject ing grade 9 and 10 and specific subjects in grade 11 and 12, Specialist High Skills Major in Communication Technology and Business, Music Program (Vocal, Instrumental, Music and Computers).
Services to Students
Chaplaincy; Guidance; Special Education; Behaviour; Consultant; School Psychologist; Peer Ministry; Student Leadership Training; Support Groups.
Grade 9 Program Features
Grade 9 Orientation; Study Skills; Time Management Skills; Social Skills; Career Interest Inventory; Long Range Educational and Career Planning; Personal Growth Skills; Take Your Kids to Work Day; Monitoring and Remediation; Homework Club; Religion Retreats.
Father Bressani Catholic High School, A School for International Studies and Advanced Placement Centre of Excellence offers a full academic program in accordance with the Ontario Secondary Schools Policy on Secondary Schools, and the Ontario Provincial Curriculum. The Curriculum of Father Bressani Catholic High School is distinctively Catholic by incorporating Catholic values within all aspects of learning. For further information regarding curriculum, contact Mr. Dan Zaroski, Principal.
Athletic Council, Baseball, Basketball, Dance Squad, CC Running, Girls Slow Pitch, Rugby, Soccer, Swimming, Volleyball, Wrestling, Golf, Tennis, Softball, Curling, Track & Field.
Clubs & Activities School Events
Art Club, Athletic Council, “Bressani Eagle Eye” Newspaper, Bressani Concert Band, Celebrate Life, Cheerleaders, Chess Club, Choir, Drama Club, Fashion Show, Liturgy & Pastoral Council, Music Council, Chapliancy Council, Student Administrative Counil, Athletic Council, Dramatic Council, International Culutres Council, Literacy Concil, Visual Arts Council, Ski Club, St. Francis Table, Homework Club. St. Francis Table, Scott Mission, Canned Food Drive, Grade 9 Retreats, School-wide Masses, Morning Masses, Grade 8 Parents’ Meeting, Grade 9 Orientation, Awards Night, Graduation Ceremony, Music Concerts, Drama Evenings, University/College sessions.
Awards Recognized at Graduation Ceremony in June:
Ontario Scholars, Subject Awards, University Scholarships, and the following Major Awards:
- Catholic Student Award (Patrick Fogarty Award)
- Catholic Women’s League – Immaculate Conception Church Scholarship
- FDR Catering Services Award
- Father Bressani C.H.S. Proficiency Award – City of Vaughan
- Father Bressani Citizenship and Spirit Award
- Father Bressani Catholic School Advisory Council Award
- Governor General’s Academic Award (Bronze Medal)
- Investors Group Comprehensive Achievement Award
- Immaculate Conception Parish Christian Fellowship Award
- Julian Masi Memorial Award; Knights of Columbus – Father Luigi Monti Volunteer Award (Immaculate Conception)
- Lieutenant Governor’s Community Volunteer Award For Students
- Rotary Club – Outstanding Academic Achievement; Roy Foss Chevrolet Academic Scholarship
- Synervoice Communications Scholarship
- Dr. Joseph Oliva Scholarship For Academic Excellence In Science
- The Father Brian Higgins Award
- The Father Bulfon Award
- The Micheal Carnovale Award
- The Susan LaRosa Learning For All Award
- Vincenza Parente Memorial Award and York Catholic Teachers Award
Awards Recognized at Awards Ceremony in October:
- Honour Roll, Subject Awards and the following Major Awards:
- City of Vaughan Leadership Award
- Father Bressani Citizenship and Spirit Award (1 per grade – Gr. 9, 10 & 11)
- Father Bressani Catholic School Advisory Council Personal Achievement Award
- Knights of Columbus – Father Luigi Monti Volunteer Award (Immaculate Conception)
- Minsignor Squilla/Leonardo Cianfarani Scholarship
- Pine Valley Community Involvement Award
- Royal Bank Proficiency Award For Business Studies
- The Linda Caporrella Award and Vice-Principal’s Award